Visual Studio 2013 Update 1 is not compatible with Windows 8.1 with Update (MSDN CD) while using sysprep

While the new installation CD named Windows 8.1 with Update launched for MSDN subscriptions user, I downloaded it and try to upgrade all the images from the Windows Deployment Service in my company. But I found the new version of Windows 8.1 might have some problem with Visual Studio 2013 Update 1.

 

Coz I need to upgrade some related images in batch, this is my way:

Create a VM and install Windows 8.1 (x64 enterprise version with update, downloaded from MSDN subscriptions site);

  1. Install Office 2013 with Service Pack 1 (VL version, coz there is a KMS in our company);
  2. Update to the latest patches;
  3. Run Cleanmgr to minimal the system;
  4. Create a snapshot named Office 2013;
  5. Use Sysprep to boot into the audit mode;
  6. Remove the current user;
  7. Use Sysprep to boot into the OOBE mode with Generalize checked;
  8. Use WDS to capture this status and upload, named as Office 2013. Before capturing, I deleted the pagefile, swap file and the contents within temp folder.

It works great.

Then,

  1. Reverse to snapshot Office 2013;
  2. Install Visual Studio 2013 with Blend, Office Developer Tools, SQL Server Data Tools, Web Developer Tools, Silverlight Development Kit; (No C++, nor mobile things)
  3. Install Update 1 from iso;
  4. Install Visual Studio SDK;
  5. Update to the latest patches;
  6. Run Cleanmgr to minimal the system;
  7. Create a snapshot named Visual Studio;
  8. Use Sysprep to boot into the audit mode;
  9. Remove the current user;
  10. Use Sysprep to boot into the OOBE mode with Generalize checked;
  11. Use WDS to capture this status and upload, named as Visual Studio. Before capturing, I deleted the pagefile, swap file and the contents within temp folder.

It looks familiar right? Actually, it WON’T WORK.

After deploy from this Visual Studio and create a new user, system end with this text:

The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded.

Even when trying to boot from the template VM in current status, it failed in the same way.

But if I try to install Team Explorer from Team Foundation Server with Update 2 CD instead, or using the Office 2013 image created above, it works like a charm. Even just use the old Windows 8.1 CD instead of the new one, it still works great.

I’ve check by using reg in command line. There is nothing wrong like this KB mentioned: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215.

I have no clue about this but just leave a message here for avoiding others go into the same jam.

 

 

Update: It fixed in VS 2013 with Update 2.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *