There is a big farm of SharePoint Server 2013 in my company. Most of these servers are prepared with SharePoint 2013 and upgraded to Service Pack 1. Some new servers are prepared with SharePoint 2013 with Service Pack 1 directly. Project Server are installed in all servers.
From WSUS, Microsoft pushed July 2014 update for SharePoint 2013 this month, which includes KB2881077, KB 2863837, KB2863826 and KB2881003.
The problem is these can be applied on all servers come with SharePoint 2013 with Service Pack 1 but failed to be done on all servers which were upgraded to Service Pack 1. Patch files are trying to uninstall Service Pack 1 on those servers but Service Pack 1 is marked not able to be removed.
The way to fix is:
- Remove all servers which were upgraded to Service Pack 1 separately from Central Administration site. You cannot do that by wizard — it won’t let you do that due to patch incomplete.
- Reinstall the whole operation system to that servers removed from step 1.
- Install SharePoint 2013 with Service Pack 1 and all other related tools to those servers.
- Upgrade all servers to July 2014 update.
- Run wizard on all servers.
- Add those servers back to farm.
- You may need to fix the distributed cache problem by following this guide from Microsoft. If you get the error “Host Already Presented”, you may want to have a look at this post.