This will guide you to prepare a installation media from Windows and install ubuntu into Soekris net6501.
Stuffs you need:
- a USB stick that CAN BE RECOGNIZED by net6501 device.
Not sure? Attach it to net6501 and reboot. If you can read the SIZE of this stick while booting, it is.
- an ISO file for ubuntu server 32-bit. Version 16.10 is tested.
- rufus. Guide and download point at https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows.
- a working serial connection from your workstation to your net6501, software included.
Prepare installation media:
- Use rufus to build the USB stick. Check the guide above.
- Link net6501 to your computer using serial connection and start the link. In this case, I’m using the default setting (Speed=19200, Data bits=8, Stop bits=1, Parity=None, Flow control=XON/XOFF).
- Boot your net6501 with USB stick attached.
- Hit ctrl-p to go into bios.
- Type “boot 81” (without quotes) and press enter to boot from USB.
- You will see that something wrong with gfxboot.
- Type this text below SLOWLY and press enter. DO NOT COPY AND PASTE:
- Do not press any key related to screen mode selection. It will be passed.
- Choose a language and continue installation steps as normal.
Grub configuration need to be adjusted for using serial as console.
Edit /etc/default/grub and change to these lines below:
Then run update-grub.
Hope this help you.